AKG is a quality brand in the headphones market and its products are known for having the best quality of sound. Certainly, the AKG M220 headphones are not an exception. These headphones are designed to suit the lifestyle of a regular user and a professional DJ. You can tell by the unique collection of features and the structure of these headphones. Again, AKG never shies away from impressing the masses. Although the price tag may suggest otherwise, these headphones are pretty much premium-grade and there is only one way to find that out: try them out first hand. However, since not everyone is able to do that, our AKG M220 review is here to bridge that gap. We bring you all the information there is to know about the headphones including firsthand user reviews, features, and technical specifications.
The AKG M220s are over-ear studio headphones with design features to suit the job description of a professional DJ. They are Pro Stylist Professional headsets with a large diaphragm with semi-open ear caps. As far as portability is concerned, the headphones are probably among the lightest headphones we have on the market. Their weight is only slightly above one pound. As a matter of fact, one AKG M220 review noted that you can actually forget having them on your head especially after having them on for a long time. These headphones have a pretty decent build. However, unlike most of its alternatives out there, a protective carrying case is missing.
The headband on the headphones is made of soft plastic, which molds to your head’s shape and automatically fits your head. If you are an intensive headphones user, you are probably going to love the comfort in the AKG M220’s ear cups. It’s like they were built with long-term use in mind. Do you want to listen to music while traveling long distance? Don’t worry. The AKG M220s have got your back. There’s something amazing about the audio jack in these headphones. It’s more like the inputs you see in microphones. As such, those accidental pullouts (which happen a lot with standard jacks) are a thing of the past with the M220s. Apart from preventing accidental pullouts, the audio jack on these headsets contributes a great deal to the sound. The box contains the headphones, a connecting wire and a 3.mm to 6.35mm audio jack adapter.
Distinguishing features of the headphones
The most outstanding feature of the AKG M220 headphones is the semi-open technology. This feature allows for solid bass and clear highs as well as excellent mids. Moreover, none of these sound variations overshadows the other thanks to the patented Varimotion 30mm XXL transducer. Additionally, the AKG M220 headphones have an accurate signal transfer and great dynamic range thanks to the patented Varimotion transducer. The other amazing feature is the self-adjusting headband which ensures an optimum fit. In addition to the self-adjusting headband, the AKG M220 also comes with a single-sided cable, a feature that gives it a professional outlook. As far as technical specifications are concerned, the headphones are circumaural, semi-open and dynamic. Also, they have a frequency range of 15Hz-25 kHz and an impedance of 55 ohms.
The headphones have a sensitivity of 91dB/mW and maximum input power of 200mW. They weigh approximately 240g without the cable which is a 9.8ft oxygen free cable. The main connection is a 3.5mm gold-plated audio jack. You can also connect through a 6.35mm jack using the included adapter. The headphones allow you to render a difference between audio file types such as WAV, FLAC, MP3, AAC, and others. The semi-open feature allows you to get a 3D sort of feel which enhances your listening experience. However, this means that others can easily hear your music if they are close enough. Generally speaking, the sound quality of these headphones is virtually unmatched if a comparison is made with others in its price range. They also make it easy for you to capture all the highs, lows and mids in the music you are listening to.
Pros and cons
- The headphones have an over-ear design which provides a high wearing comfort for long working sessions. This means you’re going to enjoy long sessions of video gaming and listening to music without experiencing any discomfort.
- The semi-open technology allows you to enjoy the solid bass and clear highs without any overshadowing. Also, you get a 3D-like experience thanks to the openness of the ear cups.
- The headphones have an accurate signal transfer and great dynamic range thanks to the patented Varimotion 30mm XXL transducer.
- The self-adjusting headband on the AKG M220 allows for optimum fit and the single-sided cable makes it easy to use.
- It comes with a gold-plated 3.5mm audio jack.
- One of the drawbacks of the headphones is that they do not come with a carrying case.
- Some AKG M220 users noted that the plastic on the actual headphones seems pretty weak.
- It is possible for nearby people to hear what you are listening. This is due to the semi-open feature of the headphones, and it’s the same with any semi-open or open-back headphones.
- It is difficult to use these headphones in loud environments such as a plane, bus or any type of public environment.
Wrapping up the AKG M220 review
In summation, sound in the AKG M220 is the main selling point in these headphones. They come with amazing features that help to enhance your listening experience. If you’re a DJ or just a regular user who fancies great sound, then you already know what to do. By choosing the AKG M220, you not only get great sound but also access to a range of possibilities to explore sound the way you like it. The AKG M220 gives you the freedom to adjust, render and sample music so long as the music player you are using has an equalizer.